CATERINA CREPAX "PAPER DREAMS"
Caterina Crepax was born in Milan in 1964. She degree in Architectural Design at the Polytechnic of Milan and works as an interior designer conducting parallel activities in the field of graphic design and staging of the exhibition spaces...
"Her relationship with the paper is an unbreakable thread that brings her from the childhood to appear in these years on the composite and surprising contemporary art scene". With particular emphasis on recycling, reuse of paper materials in common use, such as the arid wastes of the bureaucracy - receipts, shredded documents, perforated edges of computer printouts or scrap of typography - she loves the ironic game of metamorphosis, transforming them into precious "tissues", in sumptuous clothes with surprising details, refined objects of desire.
Cuts, pleats, gathers, pleats, puffs and inlays that give life to magical creatures, sometimes with light inside them, fragile and aggressive paper armors , sculpted clothes that often take inspiration from Nature, from animal and vegetal worlds or from the elements of architectural decoration ( curved lines like in Oscar Niemeyer or Zaha Hadid projects or the old and precious style of the Art Nouveau ) : almost "empty chrysalis of a body which holds the memory".
The official debut of his creations in paper came in 1995 at the Salone Internazionale del Mobile in Milan for the big stand of Molteni & C.The event was a great success. Since then, her dreamlike creations are starting to be recognized in Italy and abroad and to be much required: photo shoots of major fashion magazines and design (Vogue, Elle Decore, Marie Claire Maison, Art, Antiques, Domus, etc.), stand of famous paper companies like Fedrigoni and Fabriano, events such as Milan Wedding Fair, brides dresses like Domo Adami, elegant shops of fashion and interior design, exhibitions and national and international exhibitions, theater performances, such as Eliogabalus of Fanny & Alexander or Salomè of Scheriani/ Mandelli company , fashion shows and events, exhibitions, participation in television programs, courses in schools of fashion, art and design as a teacher.
Among the most important : - "Paper Exihibition from Malmo to Stockholm" - "Da Capucci al fashion design" at the Palazzo Carignano in Turin - "Ecomoda" at the Triennale of Milan - "Sao Paulo Fashion Week 2002" at the Bienal Ibirapuera in Sao Paulo, with a personal interpretation in paper of the major Brazilian fashion designers - different personal shows in Italian palaces, like at Verona Palace Miniscalchi-Erizzo - "Art Basel Miami 2004 "in Miami - " The Knight in black "by Moroni of the Poldi Pezzoli Museum - fashion shows/ catwalk in Milan and Rome for Lexmark - " Fashion Accessories "in Paris - continued collaboration with Comieco, National Consortium for the Recovery and Recycling Paper - collaboration with the Spanish group Hera, recycling and the environment, with a catwalk of paper dresses to Barcellona.
- Recent Exihibitions in Porcari (Lucca) within the Biennale Cartasia 2007
- a personal show at the gallery Arkè in Venice 2008
- In September 2008, she signs the scenographic project for the anthologic exhibition dedicated to her father Guido Crepax for Triennale Bovisa, Milano.
- Art show "Wake up" the White Gallery in Milan, 2009.
- Personal art show "de Bustibus" in March 2010 in Genoa and Livorno April 2010.
- Collective exhibition "Please me fashion", Palazzo Ducale in Sabbioneta.
- Collective exhibition " ECOPINK" in Milan and London, 2011.
- Guest of honor at the Comicon in Rio de Janeiro with a work inspired by the comic books of Valentina, 2011.
- the “Man at the Centre – from Design to the Art of Paper”.On the occasion of the „2012 Salone del Mobile” in Milan, Montblanc and the „Fondazione Cologni dei Mestieri d’Arte“
- exihibition "Capi d’Opera", Fondazione Cologni dei Mestieri d’Arte, Palazzo Morando, Milano
- Design project of her father Guido Crepax exihibition in Rome, "Valentina Movie", at Palazzo Incontro
- Collaboration with Mont Blanc and Van Cliff & Arpels for Salone del Mobile, Milano, creating Paper Fine Objects
- a dress for the Italian fashion Stylist Roberto Cavalli, made with his home collection wallpapers
- Van Cleef & Arpels "Les Fleurs Enchantée - Blooming Creativity" with Creative Academy Milan
- collective exihibition "Delires de Livres 2013 - Chartres - 27 april 19 may 2013
- Design project of her father Guido Crepax exihibition in Milano, "Guido Crepax Ritratto di un artista", at Palazzo Reale, june 2013
- collective exhibition CODA paper art 2013, at Apeldoorn, Netherlands
- personal art show in Francesco Zanuso Gallery MILANO february 2016
- W Women in Design Triennale of Milano Design Museum now